Friday 5 March 2010

Question 5

How did you attract/address your audience?

To begin with I completed some general audience research by asking my classmates aged 16 - 24 what they thought of my magazine in general. Although this only gives me a general idea on what my audience think I wanted to get some initial negatives and positives of my magazine.

Initial research;


Sophie Griffiths,
Aged 18
Student
Loves: Indie music
Hates: Simon Cowell, X Factor and Girls Aloud

1) Does this magazine fit in with the Indie music genre?
Yes it looks like it is an Indie music magazine, not necessarily a rock magazine. However the band does look Indie and the colour scheme works well as it makes you concentrate on the music rather than then actual magazine itself.

2)Would you say the font connotes rebellion?
Yes because it looks different to any other magazine and it shows that it is moving away from the mainstream pop titles.

3) Do you think the colour scheme works or would you change it?
Yes I think it works and I wouldn't change the colours at all. It works because it is not too overpowering and if there was too much going on then I wouldn't want to read it.

4) Would you say that this magazine appeals to a female audience as well as males?
I would say it appeals to a more female audience, mainly because there are females on the front. The overall design also looks like it was designed by a female, however I would also say that males would like to read it as well as they would like to see females on the cover for a change.

5)What is your favourite part of the whole magazine?
My personal favourite part of the magazine would be the double page spread because I like the quotes that you have used seem really realistic and funny. Also the photos look really natural and real not glamorised by soft editing and photoshop. Finally I like the way it's laid out, it's simple and easy to read.

6) Which part is your least favourite?
I don't like the small puff in the top right of the double page spread, I don't know why I just don't.


Pete Nelson
Aged 18
Student
Loves: Gigs
Hates:X Factor

1) Does this magazine fit in with the Indie music genre?
Yes I think it does. The layout is simple and effective and the pictures are great, the band really looks like normal college kids and it relates to the Indie music genre of being real not fake.

2)Would you say the font connotes rebellion?
I think it does as I've never seen this font being used before and I happen to like it. It reminds me of the cool underground gigs that I go to.

3) Do you think the colour scheme works or would you change it?
The colour are simple, effective and more importantly reflect the Indie genre. They stand out and make you want to read it.

4) Would you say that this magazine appeals to a female audience as well as males?
I think it definitely appeals to females as they would relate to the band as just being normal teenage girls whilst males would buy it as they would like to see women on the cover. It gives a change from loads of guys all the time.

5)What is your favourite part of the whole magazine?
I like the photos. There natural and make the band real people not blow up barbie dolls. I also like how it keeps prompting you to visit the website as it allows a different experience for the reader and appeals to a wider audience.

6) Which part is your least favourite?
The exclusive bubble in the top left in the cover could be neater.


Chloe
McPherson
Aged 17
Student
Loves: Guitar and good music
Hates: People who pretend to be Indie

1) Does this magazine fit in with the Indie music genre?
Yes I think it does, the simple and effectiveness of the magazine works well. Also the band seems real, like real people who just happen to make good music. We need more female Indie bands, they all want to be 'The New Girls Aloud!'

2)Would you say the font connotes rebellion?
It different from any other magazine I've seen before and I like the stamped effect. It reminds me of the stamps what you get in gigs and underground clubs. I think that it does connote rebellion.

3) Do you think the colour scheme works or would you change it?
I wouldn't change it. I like the colour I think that it shows the Indie genre and the black and white effect is cool and definitely Indie.

4) Would you say that this magazine appeals to a female audience as well as males?
Yes I think so. Males will like the girls on the cover and I like the idea of women bands making it big in the Indie genre, which is dominated by male groups.

5)What is your favourite part of the whole magazine?
Definitely the photos. They look like real people and I'm glad that you haven't altered or airbrushed them. I can relate to them.

6) Which part is your least favourite?
The exclusive bubble could have been neater on the front cover.

Reading the first initial feedback I gained from my classmates, I can summarize a few clear and overall positives and negatives about my indie music magazine.
It seems that the positives about my magazine is that it fit the target audience, appeals to both males and females and the indie music genre.
However, the negatives seem to be that the puff and the exclusive bubble in the top left hand corner could have been neater or if not, not used at all.


To get a more clear, in depth interview with members of my target audience I am going record their interviews on a digital SLR camera. This allows me to get a closer and more valid view of what my target audience really think about my magazine.


My interview with Beckii.

Name: Beckii
Age: 20
Likes: Music, gigs, hanging out with friends.
Hates: Stuck up people.
Favourite Music genre: Indie.



My Interview with Sam.

Name: Sam
Age: 17
Likes: Parties, Gigs and Music.
Hates: Annoying people.
Favourite Music: Rock or Indie.






After interviewing three people who were part of my target audience, I feel that I have established who they are, targeted them effectivley and overall got mainly positive feedback. The criticism which I did get I could use to explain how I would improve my magazine. This is evidence that I have targeted my audince effectivley.

No comments:

Post a Comment